This Sunday at 12-00 we are going to discuss one of the basic topics "Family". So, we are all social related organisms. What is your opinion about family? Are you friends with your relatives ?
Say your name,
How often do you have big family get-togethers?
The nuclear family is the traditional family structure in the West. This term, originating in the 1950s, describes families consisting of a father, a mother, and their offspring. Under this conventional structure, the family is seen as the basic unit in society; the father functions as the breadwinner and the mother as the homemaker. Nowadays, alternative family types are becoming more common, such as single-parent families, families headed by same-sex parents, and extended families where families live with their kin, which may include several generations. Extended families are less common in North America, where it is not uncommon to place grandparents in retirement homes.
1. Does someone in your family maintain a family tree? How far back can you trace your family history?
2. What was the worst thing you did as a child? Did you get caught?
3. When are children old enough to move out of the house?
4. Is there anything funny or different about your family?
5. How much of a family person are you?
6. What is the ideal number of children to have?
7. How big is your immediate family? Who are the members?
8. Are you so close to any of your friends that you consider them like family?
9. How do you think family life is changing in your country? (example: wife working, husband cleaning, kids at institutes) Is this change good or bad?
Discuss following vocabulary
|Family - People||Family - Events||Family - Verbs|
|mother / father / brother / sister in-law
blood / distant relatives
I don't often see my distant relatives.
Her mother-in-law drives her crazy!
It's funny how we only see distant relatives at weddings and funerals.
We had a nice family get together last weekend.
|get along with
have a good relationship with
obey / disobey
look up to
She looks up to her father. The children disobeyed their parents and were punished
Before waching next video, read and translate lyrics - Pink "Family Portrait"
1. What is the best environment to raise a family in (e.g. apartment, village, etc)?
2. What do people mean when they say, “you can choose your friends, but you can’t choose your family”?
3. Do you prefer the idea of extended or nuclear families?
4. Who are you most proud of among your relatives? Who do you look up to? Tell your story.
5. What are the most important things your parents have taught you?