Food and cooking
Are you bored, tired, sad? Maybe you are hungry? So, food solves all those problems. Come this Sunday at 12-00 and discuss "Food and cooking" topic with us. Let's share incredible recipes. Bon appetite!
Say your name,
Why do you like cooking?
Watch and discuss Video 1
Use useful materials from British Council.
cuisine: is a style of cooking characterized by ingredients, techniques and dishes, and usually associated with a specific culture or geographic region.
bake: To cook in an oven by using heat.
boil: To heat water until little bubbles form.
chop: To cut into small pieces, generally used with vegetables.
cut: To separate or divide by using a knife.
fry: To cook by putting the food into extremely hot oil.
melt: to make something become liquid through heating.
microwave: To heat up food within a microwave oven.
mince: to grind food, normally meat, into small pieces. A machine is often used to do this.
peel: To take the skin off of fruits or vegetables.
roast: To cook in the oven or over a fire.
sauté: To quickly fry food by placing it in hot oil in a frying pan.
scramble: To mix the white and yellow parts of eggs together while cooking them in a pan.
slice: To cut into thin, wide portions.
steam: To cook by placing the food above boiling water. Steam is the vapor that comes from hot water
stir fry: To cook small pieces of food by moving it quickly in hot oil
Write a list of kitchen’s words.
Take a paper and a pen. Write as many words related to kitchen as you can in 2 min. Make one list of kitchen’s words in a team (use words from lists) in 2 min. Compete with other team (read words one by one, do not repeat).
Watch and discuss Video 2
1. Can you cook well? Why? / Why not?
2. What are some things that you know how to cook well?
3. Why do people cook food?
4. Do you know anyone who can’t cook? If ‘yes’, who?
5. Is cooking a dangerous activity? If ‘yes’, how?
6. Describe how to boil an egg.
7. Describe how to make a cup of tea.
8. Why don’t animals cook their food?
9. Would you like to work as a chef in a restaurant?
10. Did you cook anything yesterday? If ‘yes’, what?
11. Is cooking easy? Why? / Why not?
12. Are you going to cook after class? Why? / Why not?
13. Is cooked food better than raw food? Why? / Why not?
14. How often do you use a microwave oven?
15. How was cooking different 100 years ago?
16. How will cooking be different 100 years in the future?
Watch and discuss Video 3
The best chef contest.
Make up and introduce your favorite dish. Why is it so special (ingredients, recipe, taste, odor)? Vote for the best chef in a team.