Only this Sunday at 12:00 we provide a special offer: "Visit one «English in Kupchino Speaking club» meeting and get another one for free! This time we are going to discuss Advertisement. So, be ready to share your own consumer experience. As usual exciting videos, and discussion questions are waiting for you!
Say your name,
What kinds of ads do you like and why?
Get additional materials for class activities here.
1. Why do companies advertise?
2. Do you buy products because of advertising?
3. Would you like to work in advertising?
4. What is the most popular way of advertising?
5. What is a brand?
6. What makes you buy a certain brand over another?
7. Should alcohol or tobacco companies be allowed to advertise? Why or why not?
8. What kind of advertisements attract your attention?
9. Do you think advertising is an art?
10. How often do you click on advertisements on web pages or Google search?
11. Do pop-up ads on the Internet bother you?
12. Have you ever not bought a product because you were irritated by the advert?
13. Do you think advertising should be allowed to interrupt TV or radio programs? What are the alternatives?
14. Do you agree with an advertising ban on cigarettes?
15. What is the most advertised product in Russia?
16. What makes a good ad?
Choose a Capitan/Director of your team. You have a great product. Create in group as many catchphrases (slogans) as you can. After that the directors should hit each other. (read the right slogan from a list).
Make a (radio) commercial
Work in groups
• Come up with your own company with a good name
• Think of a product you want to advertise
• Think about why people should buy your product
• Come up with a catchy slogan
- Company name
- Name of product
- Benefits of the product
- Introduction (describe radio channel and the time)
- Commercial text (2 voices should be used)
Present the commercial in front of the audience.
1. What differences can you notice between commercials from 10 or 15 years ago and commercials today?
2. What do you think of ads on YouTube or commercial breaks on TV?
3. What's the best advertisement you've ever seen?